Conditions chiropractic can treat
- Facet Dysfunction
- Cervical Disc
- Nerve Root Irritation
- Brachial Plexus Irritation
- T4 Syndrome
Symptoms chiropractic can relieve
- Acute / Sharp / Severe pain and restriction
Most commonly indicates joint inflammation
- Ache / Stiff / Dull pain
Usually associated with muscle problems
The neck, technically called the cervical spine consists of 7 vertebrae joined together by flexible discs allowing movement in all directions. The neck is the most mobile area of the spine, and combined with the volume of nerves in the area this makes it a very complex and sensitive region. Neck problems can therefore cause many symptoms other than neck pain and restriction, including arm pain, headaches, dizziness, visual blurring, nausea and more.
After taking a detailed history and going through a thorough examination, our chiropractors can determine which structures in the neck are involved and how they are causing your symptoms. If you are even slightly nervous about the safety of Chiropractic treatment upon the neck, please click here and have a look at our ‘risks’ page.
Associated symptoms in more detail:
- Top of shoulders is usually muscular or referred pain.
- Arm pain may be referred pain from neck muscles though is more commonly due to nerve involvement.
- Numbness/tingling/pins and needles these symptoms indicate nerve involvement.
- Weakness/arm heaviness may also be associated with nerve involvement.
- Headaches very frequently originate from nerve irritation in the neck – particularly migraines.
- Dizziness may often originate from neck problems and is called “cervicogenic dizziness”.
- Nausea/visual blurring are less common, but can also occur from the neck.
Conditions in more detail
Whiplash the common name given to injuries to the neck often sustained in a road traffic accident. Involves strains and sprains of the soft tissues and joints of the neck.
Facet Dysfunction Where the joints of the neck cause problems including pain and restriction.
Torticollis Also known as wry neck. Hallmarked by the neck being stuck in a twisted position, accompanied by pain.
Cervical Disc Marked arm pain with numbness and tingling, radiating from the neck.
Nerve Root Irritation Tissue inflammation may affect the nerves as they exit the spine resulting in arm pain, numbness and pins and needles.
Brachial Plexus IrritationStretch or compression of the nerves that bunch together after exiting the neck. Symptoms are widespread and varied involving the whole arm.
T4 Syndrome Dysfunction of the joints between the shoulder blades causing tingling and numbness in the hands.
Thoracic Outlet Syndrome Compression of the blood vessels and bundle of nerves at the area where the neck and shoulders meet. This causes a whole mixture of problems anywhere from the neck and upper back to right down the arm.